Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Love Story

A few months after we moved to Hawaii I became friends with Shawn. We soon became best friends and I couldn't imagine not marrying him but at the same time I did not think he would want to be with a white girl. Thankfully, I was wrong.

After a lot of prayer (by both of us) Shawn asked me to be his girlfriend. I was ecstatic but I wanted him to talk to my Dad first. Some may misunderstand why I wanted this. It comes down to me trusting my Dad's opinion and wanting him to have a say in a very important decision in my life. My Dad approved and Shawn began to be a part of our family.


This was the first picture of us. It was taken a few months after we started dating. We became a couple on January 23rd and this picture was taken in March. By this time we knew we wanted to get married.


Here are a few photos before we got married. The photo on the bottom was taken after we were engaged.

These engagement pictures were taken by my father-in-law at the same beach where Shawn asked me to be his girlfriend and then a year later asked me to marry him.

Our engagement was a whirlwind. My parents were called to Texas, I was changing jobs and of course we were preparing for a wedding. I could not wait to marry my best friend but at the same time I dreaded saying aloha to my family two days after we got married.


The day finally came and it was beautiful. I was finally married to my best friend and could not be happier.





We weren't your typical newlyweds. We were so very happy to be married but my health was quickly declining. It has been a two year process of trying to get me well. It has been challenging but we are trusting in God's timing. Shawn has shown me what it means to love unconditionally as God loves me. It didn't matter if I couldn't make dinner, if I couldn't remember who he was, or if I spent my entire day in pain lying in bed; He still loved me and cared for me. He has certainly lived up to his promise to love me in sickness and in health.

There have been many days we thought I wouldn't make it through. If it wasn't for my husband I don't think I could have fought the Lyme Disease because I knew I had to fight for his sake. And here we are two years later. I am far better than we could have hoped a year and a half ago. This year will have its challenges as I seek new treatment for the Lyme Disease. But we are trusting that God will get us through no matter how hard it gets. Thus far God has helped us and we know He will continue.

Happy Anniversary Shawn,
I am so thankful God gave me you. I love you and look forward to many more years with you by my side. Thank you for your patience, unconditional love, and wisdom in leading our marriage.
Love,
Laura


*Wedding pictures are by Aaron Rideout Photography*

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary Guys:)
    Keep up the good work:) so happy we got to know you & can't wait to visit next time we get back to Hawaii:)
    all our love:)
    Sandy & Will Lawson

    ReplyDelete