Wednesday, January 21, 2015

An Open Letter to Yolanda Foster (and some haters)



Dear Yolanda,

Thank you for the attention you have brought to Chronic Lyme Disease. I admire your bravery in fighting this horrific disease and I am so thankful that you choose to be an advocate despite the harsh criticism you receive.

I read this article when I saw it trending on Facebook earlier this week. A few years ago I wouldn't have been able to even read it. I understand where you are at and I am so sorry. I know some days it feels like you will never get any better but please hold onto hope. 

Thank you for all you have done for the Lyme community and for chronic illness in general. You are touching lives even from your sick bed. I am praying for you. 

With love,
Laura

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Here are some examples of what you shouldn't say to someone with Lyme Disease. These are real comments about the article I mentioned above. I have heard many similar comments especially from doctors. Skepticism is understandable but kindness is always an option. Also, research is a wonderful tool. 




Dear Stacy.

I assume by "it" you mean Lyme.  Five years ago I could have said that I have Lyme and can still read. But only a year later it started messing with my brain. It caused horrific damage that seems too crazy to believe. But it happened. I truly hope you are one of the "lucky ones" who caught the disease early on. I am sorry you have Lyme and hope you fully recover.

Please try not to judge what you haven't experienced. She speaks the truth, I know because I have been there. Yes, I have struggled to watch television just like Yolanda. There were days that I could only stare at the ceiling. And other days that I could watch television but I couldn't comprehend what was happening. After numerous courses of antibiotics this is not a common occurrence anymore. There is hope.

You mentioned that everyone with Lyme has joint pain. Yes, that's pretty accurate. But I believe Yolanda is trying to talk about the symptoms that most people would never think of. Lyme doesn't only cause joint pain and I am thankful that she is letting others see that.

Sincerely,
Laura


Dear Mari,

Lyme can cause extreme brain fog and memory loss. A few years ago it took me days to write a short blog post. I still don't understand how I managed to write. Some days it was impossible but other days I pushed through it. Most of those blog posts I had another adult read over because I had no clue if it made sense. I suspect Yolanda has done the same. 

As Michele articulated, you shouldn't judge. 

Sincerely,
Laura


Dear David,

Really? A blonde joke? I would suggest doing some research on Lyme. It is far scarier than you could imagine. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Yeah, it really is that bad!

Sincerely,
Laura



2 comments:

  1. It hurts to read this. But it blesses me that you are speaking the truth in love on behalf of those who can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Momma! I'm glad I have the opportunity to speak out. I think that's one of the hardest things about Lyme, it comes in and robs you of almost everything. Then when you are feeling better, it's easier to forget the past and move on. I don't want to be silent and move on though. I want to spread the word about Lyme all I can. :)

      Delete